Wednesday, February 1, 2012

You Are My God, My Redeemer!

Mark 8:29 And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Christ."


The fact that we are Christians doesn’t mean that our lives are going to be as smooth and pleasant as a summer walk on the beach at dusk (you can fill in with your own image of a perfect moment. I love the beach so my idea of perfection is being at the beach : )  On the contrary, Christians face intense seasons of suffering, hurt and pain.  The difference is that as Christians, we don’t have to go through the difficult moments of our lives alone.  We have a loving Father who holds our hands as we navigate through choppy waters.  

I remember not long ago I experienced years of agony as I watched my husband struggle with a medical condition that nobody seemed to be able to treat.  Every day was plagued by the anxiety of the unknown and by my inability to surrender it all to Christ.  The enemy fiercely attacked me during those years.  I felt defeated and exhausted.  I did not know if I was going to survive.  

Later I realized that when we face our fiery trials or land in the lions’ den or walk through the valley of the shadow of death are not the best moments to figure out who do we think Jesus is, or what we believe or what we know about our faith.  

There is not much time for deep contemplation when we are drowning in our circumstances.  There is not much time for strategic planning when we are in survival mode.  

Our time of personal tribulation is a time when our knowledge and beliefs come to our rescue.  This is only possible, however, if we had invested time in cultivating a relationship with the One who can save us; otherwise, we have nowhere to go but down the pit of despair.  On the other hand, if we have developed, through study of Scripture and meditation a true conviction regarding our faith, we do not have to consider how we’ll react when life becomes a scary rollercoaster. 

Of course this doesn’t mean that we are expected to be “Super Christians,” rather than what we really are, flawed humans.  It is not by our own power!  But we must ready ourselves in preparation for the trials that will come.  After all, we are to "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (1 Peter 3:15)  I believe that a crucial part of such preparation is to have determined some foundational answers to the most critical questions regarding our faith, so, when the moment comes, we don’t hesitate. 

Which are such crucial questions?  In my opinion, Jesus himself tells us.  He tells us as He told his disciples when He walked on this earth.  Back then, when his beloved followers were telling Him how some where saying that He was “John the Baptist; others Elijah; and still others, that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life;"  (Luke 9:19) Jesus posed backed to them what I consider the most crucial question of all: “But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" (Luke 9:20) 

Who do you say He is?  Who do you say Jesus is?  If we answer this question with conviction, stick to it and remain loyal to this answer, we’ll be prepared.  Let’s not waste another minute and spend time right now answering this question.  Who do you say Jesus is?  Meditate on it.  Ponder it.  Wrestle with it.  Examine the evidence.  Do what you have to do so you can be able to reply, just like Peter said:  “You are the Christ.” Examine His pierced body.   Like Thomas, see His wounds, put your fingers in the holes on His wrists, and stick your hand in His side, wonder and finally marvel at His sight and say, like Thomas:  “My Lord and My God.” 

“Who do you say I am?”  You are the Christ!  You are the Great I AM.  Lord of all and Lord of my life.  You are my Lord and my God, without a doubt.  He cannot be anything short of this.  All the other answers are not of the Holy Spirit.  He is not a great teacher.  He is not a great man that lived 2000 years ago.  He is not a great healer.  He is not a loving man who did some great things.  He is not one more in the collection of the gods of this world. 

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.  We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only; who came from the Father, full of grace and truth”  (John:1 1,14)

“Who do you say I am?”
I say He is who He says He is:
John 6:51:"I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever;"
John 8:12 "I AM the light of the world.”
John 10:9: "I AM the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."
John 10:11: "I AM the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
John 11:25: Jesus said to her, "I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
John 14:6: Jesus said to him, "I AM the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
John 8:58  "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

What do you know?
I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.  Job 19:25

What do you believe?
I believe that, “though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.” Psalm 23: 4


I know not everyone is a fan of blue grass, odly enough, I do like it, and I just love this song.  I think it is great for upbeat/energized worship and adoration.  I hope you don't hate it too much : )  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQD53uGlugU&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.