Monday, September 3, 2012

So Long, Summer


Seating outside in our back porch I see my summer break come to an end right in front of my eyes, in the heat of this year's Labor Day evening.

The tomato plant that my sons and I so excitedly planted in early June is barely hanging to life, just 6 tomatoes left in the withered vines.  The beautiful potted annual flowers that so proudly I kept all through the summer months, are now showing the signs of irreversible damages that comes with the approaching fall.

The sun sets to my right and my heart feels the melancholy of farewells.  Farewell to a summer that brought the unexpected sorrow of loss, the pain of health issues and the struggles of recovery, but that also brought in the joy of family time, the comfort of friendship, the blessing of time off and the beauty of carefree days in the sun and nights without strict schedules.  Farewell to the clothes hanging on the lines and to the time passed daydreaming on the tree swing.

Tonight I say goodbye to it all as I wait for the new day to usher in the stress of early mornings, work outside the home, house keeping, homework, scheduled meals, baths and bedtime.

I pray for strength, wisdom and endurance to get through the coming days of a brand new season in our lives.  May the Lord be with us.  May He help us do it all as if unto Him and with a cheerful heart.  That we may honor Him in what we do and be His face for those who we meet on the way.  Praise You, Lord, for the summer time left behind and for the days that are yet to come.

Night has fallen on us.  It's time to come back inside.  I shut the door behind me and sigh.  It's time to get ready for the new start.  Praise the Lord for the hope of new beginnings and for the promise of a new day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.