Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Why Won't He Calm My Storm?

As we journey through choppy waters it becomes very difficult to calmly rest in the arms of Christ. Sudden tossing and turning increase our awareness of the roughness of the situation, decreasing our ability to find the serenity of His promised presence. We sense the storm coming. We can see it in the gathering of the dark clouds ahead. We pray that it may not come to pass. We raise our arms to the One who the winds and the waves obey to stop it before it hits us. We beg for Him to re-route us so we may avoid it…but the answer is, no.

Often the Lord delivers us from the storms of life. Sometimes, however, we are supposed to enter it head on. It is His plan. It’s just as simple as that. The realization of this truth, however, doesn’t make the reality of it any less hard. We trust, but we still fear. We cling to His promises, but we still feel the tinge of anxiety poking us throughout the day. We wait in Him, but we still walk around with sweaty palms. 

It would be so much easier if He’d just deliver us from all the rough times…after all, He can! But the rough times come just the same. They come to us because there is something in each of them for us to learn. And the lesson usually involves improving our total reliance on Him and Him alone. The lesson often also includes a reminder that this is not our home. Those of us who live for eternity must realize that we are not in paradise yet. This world is not our own. We merely are just passing through. Why then get so attached? If everything were perfect on this side of Heaven, would we ever long to go home?

As I approach my very own storm, I am sticking to Him. I know I will fail at staying calm. I know that I will succumb to anxiety from time to time. I know that fear will weaken me. But I also know that His promises ARE true and that He is with me. He will never leave me nor forsake me. I know that even if He doesn’t calm the storm, He will be in the middle of it to calm my soul.


Like Natalie Grant’s song says…”He’ll find me in the Hurricane.”

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you to the One who loves you and will carry you through any and all the storms in your life. Know that no matter what you have friends that love you and are keeping you lifted up....

    Lori

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.