Monday, August 19, 2013

A Solitary Bench



A few Sundays ago I heard my Pastor talking about when he was a younger man and had lost something/one who was very precious to him at the time. He told us how he would go sit on a solitary bench by the Niagara River day after day for a long while. It was at that bench that He heard God’s voice telling him, “I am enough.”

That image moved me deeply and it made me think how God often meets His children on a solitary place. He meets us at a point where our fears are heightened and we feel most vulnerable. It is on that lonely “bench” that the River of Life goes by, sprinkling us with the Living Water, telling us that He is, indeed, all we need, and inviting us to jump in.

It is on that solitary bench, when there’s no one else around, when we have seemingly lost it all, that God speaks to us and shows us that His Grace is really sufficient. It is when we don’t know what to do or say, that Jesus becomes real. It is when we are at our weakest point that Christ shows up and tells us that His power is made perfect in our frailty. It is when our fears are heightened that He, Himself, reveals His radiance to us so we can rest. It is in the loneliest hour that we hear Him ask us: “Aren’t I enough?”

I am convicted by His question for if I am honest I have to say, no… I have to admit to myself (He knows this already) that I have other lords in my life. But with the conviction comes the promise of freedom for it isn’t until I am faced with my own weakness that I can see His face, the face of Truth, the Truth that sets me free. It is when I admit that it is OK to not be strong enough that He shows me that He is! Therefore, it is when I become aware of my own weakness, and I boast about it, that His power rests on me.

Like my Pastor met a Living Christ on that park bench years ago, I am meeting Him today in the midst of my fear. And that same God of my Pastor says to me today, “I am enough for you too.”

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12: 9


Linking with The Character Corner

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I have to say I know God have been moving me to sit on that bench too. Literally, in the middle of my storms I had to go to a park and sit on a bench to hear His voice. It has been refreshing to take that time. Thanks for sharing!!! xoxo, Tayrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Tayrina for your comments. I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to write me. You know? we share more than a park bench! We also share a last name : ) my maiden name is Gonzalez with the double "z" most Gonzalez are spelled with "z" then "s" ... I just figured I share that with you too : ) Blessings to you always! and prayers so the Lord keeps us safe while our storms last...hidden in the cleft in the Rock He has carved for us.

      Delete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.