Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Care Free Day at the County Fair


Sometimes we all need a care-free day to leave our troubles and stress behind if only for a while. I am in great need of days like that…when I can put my burden aside, breathe in fresh air and smile. So, yesterday I grabbed my sons and we headed out to the County Fair!

I have to admit that even though I lived in a country-setting for years, and I have the utmost respect and love for farmers…I am not much of a farm girl, at all…neither are my sons. However, we do eagerly await with great anticipation the fair every year! So when I announced to them that it was time to go, I did not have to round them up like reluctant cattle…as it is usually the case every time we need to get out of the house. I said, “we’re leaving,” and before I paused to say the rest of my usual prior-to-departure-pronouncements, they were out of sight and heading down to the garage.

The Lord gave us a beautiful day for the fair…not too cold, not too hot, with just enough clouds to protect us from the sun and enough breeze to keep us cool all day long. We arrived before most of the good stuff was open (by that I mean food booths, of course), so we went down to visit the animals first.


We maneuvered through a great variety of different types of … how shall I say it …. stuff you don’t want to step on which was all over the ground...and we looked in wonder at the cows, goats, pigs, sheep and horses which made for an amazing symphony of sounds and smells that reminded us of some of our family gatherings! (My older son told me that the cows’ mooing reminded him of the sounds I make when I’m annoyed…the nerve!) 

We moved on and saw all kinds of neat stuff...It was great watching a young girl ridding her horse saddle-less and shoe-less…so graceful and fearless! And some animals even posed for my pictures!


It was finally time to eat. We took our time so we would be ready for the rides without having the inconvenience of half-digested food in our system…never a good thing when you are planning to spin around like a crazy chicken for the next few hours. And spin we did! After a while, I had to sit on the grass and let the boys ride on their own…I was done! To be young! If I had left him, my older son would still be there ridding the Spider for all he cared! I got dizzy just looking at it. But unfortunately, after a wonderful day, we had to go home…not before having a delicious funnel cake, though! 

 
We got back in the car and drove home with beautiful memories dancing in our minds…Nothing transcendental to think about…just filled with gratitude to a Loving God who provides just what we need when we need it for the glory of His Blessed Name. Sometimes He takes away…but O does He give in abundance too! Praise be to Him always! Until next year, good bye County Fair!

Linking with Whole Hearted Home

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.