Monday, September 2, 2013

Dylan's Missing Glasses

It’s the day before the start of a new school year at a new school and Dylan hasn’t found his glasses yet. He/we have been looking for them for about one week and the little things are still nowhere to be found. Daddy’s ultimatum set today as the deadline to find the glasses or…else! (I don’t think he had really figured out what the “else” was going to be, but it sure sounded unpleasant)

Dylan kept complaining that it was too hard and that he didn’t know what to do or where to start. So after much “conversation” about responsibility and the need for him to do the right thing, etc., etc., etc…Dylan and I headed upstairs to renew our quest for the missing article.

On the way to his bedroom we checked in the office and in a few other places. Finally, we arrived at Dylan’s bedroom and I directed him to this messy cubby thingy. I looked in every drawer in his new desk and other interesting places. I even looked in my own backpack and purse. While I was checking inside the bags that we took camping last weekend a thought came to mind, “we should probably say a prayer…” hmmm what an epiphany!

I put the bags back on the hook and returned to Dylan’s room where he was still half looking, half playing. I said, “maybe we should say a little prayer,” and I uttered a simple one. Once I finished, I got down on the floor and looked under Dylan’s bed…a miracle! On the far corner, amongst an assortment of dirty little clothes and stuffed animals there laid the tiny glasses, seemingly unharmed. “I found them!” I announced with a mixture of excitement and surprise in my tone. Dylan looked at me and his jaw dropped.

I’m not sure what was going through Dylan’s mind (probably relief since he didn’t want to find out what the “else” in Daddy’s statement would be), but as for me, it was a beautiful moment. The Lord had showed me so clearly the power of prayer. I know that not everything in our prayer life works as quickly and plainly as this instance; but it is always just as miraculous! The trick is to remember to go to Him in prayer as our first and most effective resource, not as our last recourse.

He already knows what we need. Prayer will not bring breaking news to God. But it sure brings us closer to Him, and that is His intent. It is the main line of communication between Him and us, and the fastest highway to get closer to Him. We might not all the time get exactly the answer we hoped for; but we always get the answer that according to His perfect will is the right one for our growth and the refining of our character.

I don’t know if the profound implications of our little incident this morning reached Dylan at a deeper level or not; but I pray that if he loses his glasses again, he knows what to do first.

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. 
 1 John 5: 14-15

Linking with: Mondays Musings

2 comments:

  1. Your post so reminded me about the time my oldest son lost his brand new glasses about two weeks before school started. We had searched the car and house to no avail. As a single mom at the time with NO SPARE CASH...there was nothing to do but... PRAY and we asked God to lead us to where they might be. We started thinking back to what he had done the days before and retraced steps back to the neighbor's little playhouse. And there in the corner, under the browning leaves, were a young boys spectacles, unharmed. GOD IS GOOD and so faithful. Thanks for sharing your story which prompted this sweet memory for me. Blessings...Visiting from What Joy is MIne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for sharing your story with me. There is nothing like the power of prayer and if we can share that with our kids, Blessed be His Name!

      Delete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.