Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Am I Going to Be OK?



HALTing the inner Hulk is not an easy task. It took years for me to become who I am today. Therefore, it will be silly to assume that reading a few chapters of a good book will change me. Regardless of how great the book, You’re Going to be Okay by Holley Gerth is, the Holy Spirit is the One who changes us. If we could right all of our wrongs on our own, Jesus would be just a historical character from long ago, whose inspirational life impacted many, but that would be it.

If we could save ourselves, who would need the Savior?

Realizing that my lack of self-control at times might be caused by hunger, anger, loneliness or tiredness is a wonderful tool that could help me be more intentional about not hurting others with my outbursts. HALT cannot save me, though. Only Jesus can. However, God inspires and endows His children with amazing gifts, so they can use them to help others on the way. I believe the Lord has placed this book in my hands as a tool that He knew I could use and apply because it speaks the language I understand: honesty and vulnerability.

So, I don’t proclaim the methods and tactics in the book to be the miraculous cure for common humanity. But I believe the Lord can work miracles through anything.

HALT is not magic, but, like the author says, it can potentially help me realize that my defenses are low, which means, that my heart is unguarded. Therefore, is a good tool to use so I can then proceed to taking the necessary steps to guarding this precious thing God has given to me and to all of us.

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4: 23

So, let’s see what the Holy Spirit has to say about guarding our hearts through Holley Gerth’s writing as we remember that,

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. 
Psalm 73: 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.