Thursday, December 21, 2017

Are You Ready for Christmas? I'm Trying to...


"Do not be weighed down by the clutter in your life: lots of little chores to do sometime, in no particular order.  If you focus too much on these petty tasks, trying to get them all out of the way, you will discover that they are endless.  They can eat up as much time as you devote to them." (Sarah Young, Jesus Calling daily Devotional)

Yep, when I read these words a couple of days ago in my morning devotional, I felt the gentle hand of conviction poking a finger right to my side. 

My life seems so cluttered right now, I have a hard time finding my mind.  I feel unsteady, as if walking on slippery rocks (pun totally intended :)   But really, often I have so much to do that I feel paralyzed.  It's like when I walk by Dylan's room.  I know better than to look inside.  Sometimes, however, my eyes don't obey my brain's command, and they turn as I pass by...so, boom! I can't help but stop in mid step. 

The shock is so grave that I can't move.  In that room, it is impossible to discern what is what.  When Dylan is in bed, you really have to sharpen your focus to be able to find him in the midst of the mess.  He rolls himself in his blanket like a burrito and the entire experience of trying to locate him is like one of those I Spy games.

I wonder aloud, "how can that kid even find his thoughts in that room?"

Then I remember he is only 12 years old.  He doesn't need to be concerned with petty things such as thoughts.

My point is, I don't want to be consumed by clutter, either material or spiritual.  I want my house to reflect the openness I want in my soul.  I want open spaces where I can walk freely and breathe clean air.  I want my soul to have plenty of room to not only allow the Baby King to be born in me again this year, but to allow Him to stay and dwell in me forever, not as a faded background that gets pushed to a forgotten corner throughout the year, but to stay at the foreground, as the Guiding Light of every step I take.

I don't want my head to be filled with the endless tasks I feel I need to fulfil.   I want my mind, spirit and soul to be focused on seeking His presence in my life every day.

I want to take the advice I read in Sarah Young's devotional and:  "Instead of trying to do all my chores at once, choose the ones that need to be done today.  Let the rest slip into the background of my mind so HE can be in the forefront of my awareness."

May these few days before Christmas bring an opportunity for us to Seek Him first and let all else fall to the background.  Let us make room for the King!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.