Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A Closer Walk with Thee


This morning I read the last paragraphs of chapter 4 in the book You're Going to Be Okay by Holley Gerth, and I have to admit that, for a moment, I got a bit discouraged.  She said that we would know our hearts are becoming guarded by seeing that:

Our emotions will become more stable.
Our relationships will be stronger.
Our connection with Jesus will grow to deeper intimacy.
Our ability to say yes as well as no will increase.
Our lives will begin to be filled with more peace and less stress.
Our focus will be on what's best and we'll be distracted less from God's purpose for us.
Our joy will continue to expand. (p. 87)

I tell you...when I got done reading this list, I felt the way I felt when I did the ice-bucket challenge...remember that craze a couple of years ago?  BRRRRR....

However, the fact I felt that way after reading this passage only proves the fault in my attitude.  I always jump to conclusions and assume the worst.  I didn't even notice what the author said right before she listed these signs of a guarded heart:  "learning to guard our hearts is a lifelong process..."  I mean, really?  How did I miss that?

But, anticipating that most readers probably would miss it, the author repeated it and clearly stated afterwards that, even though we all want all these things right now, the process is ongoing.  We aim for this goals, but the reality is that "we ain't in heaven yet."  Therefore, what we look for is: "a little more light each day, each week, each year."

Sigh...

The way I see it, we need to ask ourselves a couple of questions: am I on the road with Christ?  Am I walking ever closer to Jesus? 

This life is the road, not the destination.  We are wanderers around the mountains and the valleys of this world.  We are not home.  We are looking for progress, for spiritual growth, for sprouts of faith, for budding maturity...I don't believe we will see the full garden while still on this Earth. I don't think we'll get to drink the wine produced by our grapes until Jesus pours it out Himself into our cups at the Wedding Supper of the Lamb.  We do have a job right here, right now, however...our job is to stick to the vine:

"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing." (John 15: 5)

All throughout my thinking process regarding this topic, I couldn't help but to think of the old hymn, "Just a Closer Walk with Thee."  I think that's the key...let us pray that the Lord guides us so each passing moment we can take just a closer walk with Him...that, Lord Jesus, is my plea...

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Refrain:
Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore. (Anonymous)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.