Saturday, January 6, 2018

Follow Him!

I don't have any pictures of our silver tree, color wheel or Nativity,
but these are exactly it as far as the tree and the wheel.  Same
boxes even!  The Nativity, will live only in my memory now.




















After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” Matthew 2: 1-2


I remember growing up in Panama, one of my greatest joys was the Christmas season.  My parents didn't decorate much.  Actually, as soon
as I was old enough to walk, I was the one decorating.  There were only two main decorations:  the silver tree with two spotlights that had a four-color-wheel that slowly turn once plugged in to give the tree alternating red/yellow/green/blue colors, and a great Nativity set.  I loved them both, but my favorite was the Nativity.  It was a whole village!  

I loved setting it up:  first the base.  I would gather boxes and organize them on the ground at the corner of our living room.  For that I had to move some of the furniture to make room.  Then, I would cover the boxes with manila paper painted green and brown to resemble the ground.  I would have fun creating caves and creeks all around.  Once the base was set, the fun began.  I would start designing the village of Bethlehem.  

I always started with the stable and the Holy Family...minus Baby Jesus, of course, that piece never got to the scene until Christmas morning, when my Mom would gently placed it on His special spot.  Then, the villagers, the houses, the chickens, ducks, shepherds, sheep and angels would populate the town.  Finally, the magi made their entrance.  I always placed them as far away from the stable as possible, so, during the Christmas season, they could do their pretend journey toward the Newborn King!  The Magi would always face the big silver star that stood, or rather leaned behind the stable.  Once completed, I would look at it and wait for my Mom to come and give it the final touches.

Those were the glory days of my childhood.

As long as the Christmas decorations were up it meant the season of wonder and joy was still on.  

January 6th, however, was always a sad day for me...

That is the day of the Epiphany, when tradition says the Magi arrived in Bethlehem to present their gifts to the Newly born Messiah.  

That is the day all Christmas decorations went down at our house.  That's the day the Magi finally were placed right in front of the stable in adoration...under the star that guided them...

Sigh...

It's funny how some things stick to our minds in such a vivid way...and then, others just slip away...

I remember everything about those, long-gone days...the sights, the smells, the feelings, the melancholy... and so often I forget what truly gave meaning to all the celebration:  The birth of Our Savior!

Keeping in mind the reason for the traditions will help me shake off the melancholic feeling about taking down the decorations.  The fact that we celebrate the arrival of the Magi should give me inspiration, should provoke a renewed sense of Epiphany!  Jesus is the Star, the Bright Morning Star that guides us...it is not the end of the season.  It is the beginning!  It is the beginning of a new year of journeying with Jesus as our Guiding Light!  We just need to remember that, as the Magi did, those who pay attention and remain focused can also, still follow!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.