Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Confessions of a Homebody

Earlier this morning I was "chatting" with my sister and the topic of how little adventure there is in our spirit came up.  Our parents were not campers or outdoor people at all.  They enjoyed being at home...and that's how they raised us.  Adventure was not part of our vocabulary. Therefore, now that we are grown up, we regret our roles as spectators...as homebodies...

My sister was commenting how her one childhood friend is really taking advantage of all the wonderful things going on in Panama now!  Hiking, surfing, climbing, swimming...you name it!  My sister wishes she could join her, but something inside of her keeps her from taking the step...that one necessary step to venture out.

I commented on how I don't want to be enslaved by my self-created ties.  The thing is that I long for adventure, but something inside of me sabotages my dreams.  I usually come up with excuses: work, kids, money, health, lack of physical shape...whatever...so when the time comes, I can say, "sorry, I can't." 

I said to her that we need to turn it around and look at it from a spiritual perspective.  We need to see opportunities to be outside in nature as opportunities to witness the miracle of creation, so we can experience Him and give Him the glory!

I don't want to miss out on being immersed into God's revelation to all mankind: the work of His hand! 

My sister said something that really hit me:  "we need to marvel and delight at God's creation rather than being obsessed with man's creation."

That's it!

I am obsessed with man's creations.  I spend hours looking at real estate websites.  I experience a sense of thrill when I go shopping.  I can't wait to go to the movies or watch my favorite ones at home.  I find enormous enjoyment when I think about decorating the house or daydreaming about potential remodelling.  I go to pinterest when I need to unwind.  All my spare time is spent amongst man's creation...

Wow... yeah... how's that for a revelation?

I need to seek Him first and above all else...

...instead, I seem to be seeking the things of this world...

I don't want to do that anymore.  I'm opening the door to the Holy Spirit so He can guide my path and direct my desires.  I want to enjoy His creation more, and ask of it what they know of the glory of Our Great God!

“But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, 
and they will tell you;
or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish in the sea inform you.
Which of all these does not know
that the hand of the Lord has done this?
In his hand is the life of every creature
and the breath of all mankind. Job 12: 710

I pray, in this new year, to be able to find joy in the work of His Hands...not so much on the work of men...

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19: 1

1 comment:

  1. I used to enjoy adventure. As I have gotten older I find myself much more content to be at home, sometimes to the point of not really wanting to go out. Especially with the cold weather. However, I do love God’s beautiful handiwork.

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.