Thursday, October 3, 2013

Am I a Cool Mom?


I read a blog post recently that had an intriguing question as its title.  The question read something like, "are you a mean Mom too?" Needless to say that title got my attention.  As I read the post I realized it wasn't much about being a mean Mom, but rather as being perceived as being a mean Mom by our kids when they don't get their way.  It also talked about how we might fall into the temptation of thinking God is mean just because we don't get what we want from Him.

These ideas kept floating around in my head, but mostly, I kept pondering the "am I a mean Mom?" question.  In my case, I was wondering if I really was MEAN... I figured I'd go to the source, and asked my sons what they thought.  The question, however, didn't come out right.  Instead of asking, "do you think I am a mean Mom?"  I asked, "Am I a cool Mom?"  I think deep inside I didn't want to ask the other question for fear my sons would be brutally honest and tell me the truth!

As soon as I asked the question, I heard Dylan from another room yelling:  "You are pretty!"

I had to laugh aloud at that reply.  It was the safest thing he thought he could answer.  It was the answer he knew would not offend me.

Later in the day, I tried again.  This time I did ask the question directly to Dylan.  "Am I a mean Mom, Dylan?"  Of course I asked while he was utterly distracted playing his favorite videogame : ) His reply was very telling, tough...he said "No," right away, but then after a minute, he added, "well, only like once a week..."

Honesty...what a blessing, what a course...

Yep...I am a mean Mom...sigh...    

I am an out of control, temperamental, impatient, harsh, mean Mom.  Is there hope for me? Well, there is always hope!  He who lives in me brings me hope every day.  He whose breath sustains me, holds me by the right hand and guides me.  He leads me through troubled waters and He teaches me how to be more like Him day after day.  Of course I am going to fail at times.  Of course I am going to have set backs...at least once a week : )...but I must trust that He will pick me up and set me right back on track.  He teaches me that prayer is my best recourse when I lose it.  He teaches me that I can go for a walk when I need fresh air before I get back to a heated "conversation."  He teaches me to ask for forgiveness when I've let my anger get the best of me.  He teaches me to extend mercy and grace to others, as He has done to me.

I am His, and as one of His children, He will help me clothe myself with the fruits of the Spirit so I can reflect His holiness, goodness and love...even if I have been a mean Mom on a weekly basis.  Then, perhaps, maybe, He'll allow me to be a really cool Mom, or even better, I pray He makes me into a Godly Mom, instead.

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3: 12

Linking with: Hearts for Home



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.