Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Compassion



When the compassion train went by, I didn’t get on it. It’s that simple. I’m not proud of it, but I have to be honest. My first tendency is not toward compassion but toward judgement.

I’m thinking about this today since I am facing situations with several students in a few of my classes that are going to require me to act in either of two ways: the tough teacher way or the compassionate teacher way. In each instance the issue of second chances is at play. Do I give them a second chance even though they do not deserve it? Or do I just say NO, you messed up and you don’t get to take a makeup test!

I usually don’t struggle with giving makeup tests this much. At this time, I believe my struggle comes from the fact that in all cases it feels as if the students are taking advantage of me. So what does that mean in the case against compassion? It means that I am struggling with my own pride.

If there is something I detest is to be taken for a fool. I may not show it much, but I don’t want people thinking I am an idiot, plain and simple. I am very defensive in that area. As soon as there is a situation when I perceive that there may be someone thinking I am stupid or something I feel my blood boiling really fast.

Hmmm…

I can’t tolerate it…to the point of sacrificing being fair…to the point of sacrificing being compassionate…to the point of sacrificing being humble…

Today, I want to cling to Scripture that speaks to me about how I am commanded to act…even if I don’t feel like it…sigh…


Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4: 32

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:13

That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble." James 4:6

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. 
James 4:10



Today I praise the Lord for giving me another chance to exercise compassion and humility. I praise Him for not letting me surrender to pride and reconsider my actions thanks to the red flags He raised on my behalf.

I’m not sure what I am going to do about my students yet, but I am sure whatever I decide will be done after a consultation with my Holy Counselor, and whatever it is, I pray it is a compassionate action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.