Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Joy of Being Here



Fifty degrees! WOW!!! Yesterday the mercury finally hit 50 degrees! It actually didn’t feel like torture to take our little Link out for his morning walk (boy, do we need a fence or what?). And I even heard birds chirping when I ventured out to our small downtown. It feels as if spring may really come…

I know, I complain a lot about the weather. I was born and raised in a tropical country, so I guess that gives me a certain right to be a bit bitter when the bitter cold lingers for too long…no pun intended…well, maybe a little…but, yes, I’ve been known to feel dissatisfied to be where I am.

Sigh…

Actually, there was a time when the word dissatisfied did not fully describe the way I felt. More accurately, I felt…forsaken.

When I first moved into this beautiful region of Western Pennsylvania, with its gorgeous scenery that changes like a teenage girl going through her seasonal wardrobe, I did not appreciate any of it. All my energy was concentrated on finding a way out of here. I didn’t stop to see and breathe in the beauty that surrounded me, a beauty that was not only material, but spiritual. I did not realize, in my frantic pursuit for leaving, that right here I would eventually meet the most amazing people in the world, people who would hold me together in my many hours of trials still yet to come.

All I wanted to do was leave. And the fact that things were not aligning that way at all, made my heart ache and my mind wonder why? Why would God not want me to be happy? Why would God not want to answer my prayers? Why would He refuse to rescue me? I was so consumed by my desire to get what I wanted…what I thought would make me happy…that I was unable to discover the joy of being here.

It took many years, many years of preparation, until God got me ready to open my eyes to see. He finally got me to a place in my life where I was able to see that I was right where He wanted me to be. I saw that this is where He had been leading me to all my life. I saw that this is where He wanted me to blossom.

I don’t know what God’s plan has in store for me in the future, but one thing I do know now is that today I am right where I am supposed to be. That is why today I cling to the truth that says,

You will bring them in and plant them on the mountain of your inheritance-- the place, LORD, you made for your dwelling, the sanctuary, Lord, your hands established. 
Exodus 15: 17

In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling. 
Exodus 15: 13

"See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared. 
Exodus 23: 20

1 comment:

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.