Thursday, May 25, 2017

Distractions Part 2



Back to the topic of distractions and how that was the key thing that Jesus pointed out about Martha when she asked Him to rebuke her sister…I tend to think that when we… or at least I… get caught up in the distractions of life is because I am having trust-issues. In other words, I think that distractions signal lack of trust.

I mean, Martha was in the presence of the One who had fed 5000 people with a few fish and bread! Couldn’t she just relax, and trust that He would take care of a dinner party?

I know…it might sound simplistic, but I think there is something here. In my personal case, for example, every time I have a gathering here at the house I go full-Martha…including the whining about nobody else doing anything: “Woe is me…I do all the work and you guys just sit around playing your videogames…boo hoo.” I fret and I labor until I am so exhausted that when the guests arrive I am spent. I have a hard time enjoying the party because I have no energy left. And, then, inevitably, everybody brings so much food, that whatever I made doesn’t get eaten… sigh…

What a waste of effort. What a way to misplace my priorities. What a missed opportunity to be still and enjoy the company of my loved ones to the fullest…

I think that if I don’t hold the reigns tightly wrapped around my fingers, they will slip and the whole wagon would go down a cliff. The truth I keep forgetting is that I am just a passenger! I’m not driving anything other than those around me insane! All my efforts and laboring are in vain most of the time. In the end, I see my hands are full of cuts, my back hurts, my legs are swollen and, the funny thing is that at the end of the day, I end up where I should have started, laying on the couch with my feet up…but instead of feeling drained…feeling relaxed, waiting for my guests to arrive!

I have to give up the idea of control or I will spend the rest of my life miserable and missing the point.



I pray that I can have an attitude of trust in everything I do, so the panicky anxiety that surfaces when I think I have to do it all, subsides and I let the true Driver … drive. Maybe that way I could finally just chill by His side and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.