Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The Tyranny of the To-Do List

The Lord has been speaking to me a lot about my priorities.  I know, that statement might sound far-fetched.  I don't really hear, like audibly...you know...like I hear people, for instance, Dylan...boy, I wish I could hear God's voice the way I hear Dylan's!!!  There would be NO doubt...I would have NO problem understanding what He wants from me... I don't even know where I'm going with this...

The point is:  the message of how messed up my priorities really are has been in the air lately.  And I take it as a message from my Heavenly Father.  Almost every reading I've done in the last few...more than a few...weeks has had that message. So I think I need to really pay attention and think about re-adjusting my lists...

Yesterday, for instance, one of my readings said this:  "You can make some plans as you gaze into the day that stretches out before you.  But you need to hold those plans tentatively, anticipating that I may have other ideas."

Boy, did that speak to me!

I live my life by lists.  I've tried to organize my life in a different way...so I can come out from under the tyranny of the to-do list, but I continue to be trap under its crushing weight...sigh...

And the funniest thing is that I believe that I actually have control over what I do or don't do out of the endless items listed on that paper...or variety of papers.  You know? I'm a disorganized mess.  I make lists, then I lose them, so I have to make another one, and then another one...then I think of something else to put in there, but I can't find it, so I start another one, then I end up with a bunch of scrap pieces of papers everywhere I go with different versions of my list, so in the end I have no idea what I need to do.  Don't even ask me about my purse!

The thing is: I need to chill!  He knows the plans that He has made for me.  They are not mine.  They are His!  I just need to live the day-to-day to see them unfold in my life.  And the best thing:  they are perfect plans!  They are the best!  His to-do list for me is way better than anything I could have ever concocted...

And it is written in beautiful paper that doesn't get lost.  And the items in it are in perfect order even if it is an order I don't understand.  He doesn't ask me to...He just asks me to trust Him.

I pray I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.