Sunday, November 7, 2021

Thanksgiving Journal: The Gift of Time

 Well, today was "fall back" day.  It was the day we turned our clocks back one hour.  This has always been a fascinating thing to me.  The first year I experienced this phenomenon was back in the fall of 1990, my first year at Clarion University.  I couldn't believe it when people told me: we have to turn our watches back one hour.  I was like, what??? What does that mean? And people would be like, well, just what it sounds like, take off your watch and turn the hands back...I just couldn't fathom it.  It seemed unreal...almost as playing God.

The worst part was when spring came and we had to "spring forward" the clocks.  That was just cruel.

Thirty years later I still get super confused with the time change.  It makes for a really complicated experience, particularly when trying to make arrangements with people in different countries where they don't do this crazy thing.  

Anyway...but I have to admit, I enjoy gaining my hour back, though.  This morning, when I woke up and looked at our alarm clock on the night table (the alarm clock does is not smart so it doesn't realize it's time to fall back) it said 6:48 a.m. but then, when I looked at my phone, it said 5:48 instead...and a big smile came to my face because I could just roll up in bed and sleep for another hour.  I've been so sleep-deprived lately that having that extra hour was an amazing gift.  I am so thankful for the chance to claim one extra hour in the day.  I know this means days are shorter and nightfall comes quicker...but, still, if only for one day, knowing I have one extra hour fills my heart with joy!

Time is the most precious commodity we have.  It is very limited which makes it extremely precious.  I thank God for the gift of time today and I pray He allows me to be wise on how I spend it while under the rule of the ticking clock.  In Jesus' Precious Name.  Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.