Sunday, November 28, 2021

Thanksgiving Journal: Thank You for Your Word

I love to read.  My problem is, I don't have time to do it.  I have piles of unread books in my shelves, which I look at longingly, waiting for a moment when I could grab one and dive into it.  The way life is going these days, however, make me doubt that is going to happen any time soon.  This morning I glanced at the one sitting by my night table since June...still unfinished...thinking that hopefully during Christmas break I might finally get through the final few chapters.  That made me think of another Book...

I don't want this November Thanksgiving Journal to close without setting aside an entry to thank God for giving us Scripture...our compass...our Christian life GPS.  Unlike a compass, though which can be faulty or a GPS that can make mistakes, God's Word is infallible...it never fails...it never stirs us wrong...it never takes us on the wrong path.  

However, a book is only good when it is open...that goes quadruple for the Bible.  Through His Word, God reveals Himself to us...but it is up to us to witness such divine revelations by actually reading it.   

I don't want to look at my Bible longingly...I don't want to leave it on my shelf next to the other neglected books collecting dust...I don't want to miss out on God's message...and most of all...I don't want to miss out on getting closer to Christ by not reading Him.  That's the tragedy of not reading the Bible...we miss out on a personal relationship with Him...

We forget that He, Jesus, is The Word made Flesh! Remember? John 1: 14?

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

It's not like with any other book where by not reading it we don't get to know what happens to the characters in the stories.  Not reading the Bible keeps us away Jesus.  It's that simple.  And I don't want that to happen.  I don't want the enemy to deceive me by making me feel that I don't have enough time in the day to read The Word.  The enemy knows that's the most effective way of building a wall between us and Our Lord.  How often I fall for it...sigh...

Today, I want to make sure I give thanks to God for choosing to reveal Himself in all His Perfect Trinitarian Glory to us in Scripture so we can grow closer to Him even in our imperfect ways. Thank You, Jesus for becoming flesh and making Your dwelling among us.  Thank You for remaining near and for giving us the opportunity to find You every day in the Bible.  Please inspire us to open Your Word and dive into it on a daily basis. In Your Precious Name.  Amen!

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3: 16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.