Sunday, November 7, 2021

Thanksgiving Journal: The Gift of Seeing Our Kids Grow Up

 I wanted to conclude the thanksgiving posts for the weekend saying a big thank you, Father, that Dylan was able to get his learner's permit on Saturday.  I know, it makes me very nervous to think of him driving.  In my eyes, he is still a little toddler attached to my hip.  The fact is, however, that Dylan is growing up.  He is 16, ready to start driving and thinking about getting a job after basketball season is over.  I don't know what happened to the years.  I don't know what happened to that little fuzzy-hair, chubby-cheeks baby who was placed on my lap over fifteen years ago in an early morning on September 11th...he was such a cutie pie.  We were so confused and in shock.  He kept waiving us bye-bye, crying his eyes out.  I remember having to give him a warm bath at around midnight, and rocking him in my arms the rest of the night.  He would not let me lay him on the bed.  I had to hold him in my arms all night long.  That was the only way he would not cry.  Since that day, he attached himself to me in a special bond much thicker than blood. 

Today, as he takes his first steps towards independence, I'm filled with pride, and with joy to see that God has allowed me to see my baby become a young man, ready to stretch his wings and begin to fly.  It is such a privilege...and even though my heart is achy, knowing that the years of carrying my cute, little baby in my arms are long gone, I get to see a strong man in the making.

So, thank you, Lord for letting me see this rite of passage for Dylan and I pray I can witness him become Your follower for life.  In Christ's Precious Name.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.